Wednesday

Blog Post Two from Week Seven

3 comments:

  1. Describe at least 3 types of assessment practices that you as a student/learner have experienced throughout your own schooling and explain the benefits or limitations of each type of assessment.
    ~Paper based/bubble tests have been used on me since I was young. This is an easy way that teachers can grade and assess where my class was. However for a student like me, I always got confused on the questions because they were so closed together and seeing that I had to answer 100 questions made it overwhelming for me and I normally did very poor on those tests.
    Essays were also a way to assess what I have learned within certain classes such as English or History. However for me I have a hard time taking the thoughts from my mind and into a paper for it to be understandable and to be organized. Sometimes I would be able to create and great paper, but it's still not the best form for me.
    Computer based tests are quicker to score and they normally only bring up one question at a time. For me this is the best way for me to be assessed except for hands on tests. Only having one question at a time my mind and eyes do not wonder all over the page. Plus I have had a computer at home since I was a baby so computers and tests on computers are more natural for me and more comfortable to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which assessment is right for the class as a whole?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can completely relate to the overwhelming feeling that you get when you have 100 test questions infront of you that you have to transfer to a bubble sheet. I can remember taking a test for one of my high school finals that was about 100 questions and when I got the results back my teacher and I noticed that I got the first 50 questions 100% correct while the last 50 had more questions answered incorrectly than correct. After seeing this it made me realize that while taking longer tests, students can simply get bored or tired of being pounded with questions filled with information they have already adequately covered within previuos questions.
    The utilization of essays as a form of assessment would be a great way to address test anxiety that some struggling students may have because it allows them to think critically about question their being asked, as well as provides a fairly limitless grounds for working and comprehending what they have been taught. Something that I think could help you and other students with the structure of essays on a test could be to utilize scrap paper just to jot down ideas or topics that you know you want to cover and in their order so that the paper can flow more easily as you bring all of your knowledge of the learned material forth to paper.
    I have also become quite accustomed to being assesed on computer based tests as well, however I have come to realize that more often than not less thinking actually takes place (for myself) because I zoom through a computer test in 15 minutes or less when it is a test, that if administered as paper and pencil, would have taken taken 30+ minutes. I do like the fact that results do appear almost instantly, but by using computer based testing all time doesn't give students adequate time to think critically or work hands on with what their learning as it applies to real world situations, not a computer screen.
    If I would have to pick any form of assessment for a class as a whole I would have to say to mix a little bit of bubble tests with essay questions to adhere to the needs of the different abilities of students.

    ReplyDelete