This week during math station I was working with the shape song. We have gone over this song in the class a couple of times. I noticed that one student who doesn’t normally keep still in the circle was singing the song to me during the station. This student made me think, “Hey music does work on the student”. Now I know that the student hasn’t gotten the names of the shapes down but at least they remember the song and with the song can pin point the shape. Like “I am mama circle shaped like a pie”, once the student sings that part they look for the shape like a pie. I was quite surprised by this finding. So my wondering this week is does music or a jingle actually help students remember things? I am thinking about trying it with the small groups to see if that helps any students besides this one student.
9/6-9/9
ReplyDeleteThis week during math station I was working with the shape song. We have gone over this song in the class a couple of times. I noticed that one student who doesn’t normally keep still in the circle was singing the song to me during the station. This student made me think, “Hey music does work on the student”. Now I know that the student hasn’t gotten the names of the shapes down but at least they remember the song and with the song can pin point the shape. Like “I am mama circle shaped like a pie”, once the student sings that part they look for the shape like a pie. I was quite surprised by this finding. So my wondering this week is does music or a jingle actually help students remember things? I am thinking about trying it with the small groups to see if that helps any students besides this one student.